Welcome to Marauder Moments - a chronicle of the Mortimer Street Marauders; the games we play, the rules we use, the figures we play with and the scenery they fight over. Hope you enjoy these pages and maybe call back to catch up with our escapades.

Saturday 21 March 2015

From the work bench

Middle Guard work in progress piccies...

These are ace painter Tony Laughton's fave regiments so we have had a few meetings about how to make them really "pop"! I picked up four battalions of Middle Guard, 2 each of Fusilier Grenadiers and Fusilier Chasseurs, from Elite Miniatures as part of a vast order I placed during their excellent Christmas Discount Deal. On reflection I could have gone for Elite's Collectors series instead but these are very animated which I like. As usual I plonked a Front Rank mounted officer in there too, totally different sculpting styles but it just works, see my Portuguese for further examples.      

Front Rank Old Guard Grenadier officer to lead the 1st Battalion of Middle Guard Fusilier Grenadiers.
I love the slightly raised eyebrow and 'tash, amazing horse too.  Excellent paint job by Toy Laughton.
 Having two battalions of each regiment we wanted to find a way to make each one different. They had different flags which is lucky. Tony then struck upon the idea of putting mounted Old Guard officers in the 1st battalion of each regiment and Middle Guard officers in the second. Different hats - simples!    

"Vive l'Emperor!"
Elite Miniature Fusilier Grenadiers charging at full pelt. 

"En avant!"
Elite Miniatures Fusilier Grenadiers charging.
Fusilier Grenadier drummer looking right at you.
So, these are still "work in progress" but once fully finished, gloss varnished and formed up I'll get some more piccies for you. Four battalions each of 32 should be pretty impressive and colourful.

Hope you likey and comment. Have a great weekend, JJ  

19 comments:

  1. Four more battalions JJ? It's your fault I'm un-sticking all my Austrians and rebasing them so ours match, grrrrr
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wotsup now my old friend? We needed more French, we all agreed!

      Delete
  2. 4 battalions will be very impressive! Lovely brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger, Tony Laughton is a clever fellow to be sure! Glad you approve. Have fun, JJ

      Delete
  3. Very nice JJ, I have always liked the elite range. To bad I don't have the space for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget you do some 28's too Paul, lots of 15's though!

      Delete
  4. Great looking Middle Guardsmen! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dean, I'll sort out a post of the whole lot based up and flagged up.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful painting! :) Good idea with the hats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work, particularly the officer's horse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post J, and thank you for all the kind comments folks.
    Has been a pleasure to make a little contribution to all these fantastic battle reports.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very enviable collection you guys have. I like the blue on the jackets. Good table top interpretation.
    Talking of BatReps. ..... where's the Eckmuhl one you promised us in Jan?
    ATB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Eckmuhl game you say? Now that is a fully fledged b'stard of a good question!
      Idle bum I may be but I have been grinding through it, if somewhat slowly! Easter may give me a chance to do something on it. Just don't ask about the Borodino write up which is 3 years late...

      Delete
    2. Lol. 206th Anniversary in 3 weeks if you needed any more incentive. 😉
      I'm a student of 1809 campaign and hope to redo Eckmuhl on 18mm by 210th so hence the keeness to see it in glorious 28mm as only you guys do.

      Delete
    3. Oh well if that's the case I'll crack on with it forthwith!

      Delete